Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What's For Breakfast?

It is a known fact that starting your day off right begins with a healthy breakfast. Whether you work at home, at the office, at school, or on the road, it is not a good idea to the most important meal of the day. Eating a good breakfast sets the tone for the rest of your day.

Breakfast is the one meal that awakens our metabolisms.
A healthy breakfast should contain some protein and some fiber. Protein can come from low fat meats, eggs, beans or dairy. Fiber can be found in whole grains, vegetables and fruits. A good example of a healthy breakfast might be something simple like a hard boiled egg, an orange, and a bowl of whole grain cereal with low fat milk. Stay away from the sugary cereals, syrups, pastries, and white breads. They are digested quickly, will leave you hungry, and tired in a couple of hours. Protein and fiber satisfy your hunger and will keep you feeling energized throughout your day.

People ask me all the time, "Ilyse, what do you eat for breakfast?" When I share my choices, I usually get a VERY surprised look back. It doesn't seem like the normal first meal of the day, but TRUST ME it is delicious. It also keeps me going like the energizer battery...I keep going and going! My Cousin Jessica visited me in LA a few months ago and thought that I was crazy when I told her what I eat for breakfast. Of course, I insisted that she tried it and I was right, she LOVED it! Now, I have hooked Jessica to my breakfast recipe and she has blogged about it on her own blog: Ready & Abel

Please enjoy reading my Cousin Jessica's blog as well. She is hilarious! I hope you try my famous breakfast and enjoy it too. Please let me know what you think by commenting below. Good luck with the recipe! Find it here: Stir-fry for Breakfast?




2 comments:

  1. Okey since we are talking food wisdom, here is what I learned from lovely Ilyse:
    I have been taking Ilyse's dance class since October 2009, after gaining 40+ lb from pregnancy.As a performer and actor, the changes in my body effected my personality and confidence tremendously,confused about all the changes in my body and about how to lose wight and gain more energy so that I can function in life with my busy schedule, I asked Ilyse about eating better.I explained to Ilyse that in the middle of the class I usually run out of energy and this energy drop happens thought out the day.
    To my surprise she said: "you are not eating enough!" I was shocked! so I started eating 2 boiled eggs on a bed of frisee' salad before the class, a large piece of chicken breast or lean ham or ground beef for lunch, and a healthy dinner with brown rice.I also reduced the amount of bread from my diet. Result: after the first three days I lost 4lb and still going, so far I have lost 28+ lb and working on the last bit. Thank you Ilyse you changed my life, you have made a tiger out of me ;) ROAR!
    --
    Michela

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best feeling breakfasts are always ones that start with a good protein and good fats: 2hard boiled eggs with half an avocado, some almonds and a small glass of raw milk. Sometimes I'll have leftover steak or chicken breast from the night before with black beans and coffee. I have to disagree with the grains for breakfast though. When you start your day out with any kind of sugar you don't start your metabolism out right spiking insulin - even whole grains can spike insulin. Cavemen didn't roll over and fill their bowls with cereal. They grabbed meat, with the fat, to start their physically grueling days of hunting and traveling. I was able to lose ALL the baby weight plus 18lbs from subscribing to a real food diet - which means NO processed sugars and spreading the fruit out throughout the day. We eat grass fed/free range meats from farmer's markets and Henry's, LOTS of veggies! You're right Michela - cutting out bread makes a huge difference too! Try Quinoa during a dinner or lunchtime meal for some grain and flavor with some Indian spices like Tumeric. Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete