Monday, October 3, 2011

ILYSE attends the 1st ever Prevention Healthy TV Awards

On Tuesday, September 27th, I had both the honor and privilege to be invited to the first-ever Prevention Healthy TV Awards, at the Paley Center in Beverly Hills. This was an evening in celebration of television programming and personalities that deliver the best message and role models for healthier lifestyles.

Diane Salvatore, Editor-in-Chief of Prevention, decided that it was time to award TV shows that incorporate useful health information and promote healthy behavior. Diane mentioned that 288 million people in the USA watch television every month. I was shocked when I heard that large number and the first thing that came to my mind was, “OMG…America buys into everything that is on TV and it makes total sense why Prevention wanted to move forward with this event. It was a genius idea!”

The evening began with cocktails and hors d’oeuvres, followed by a presentation spotlighting the inaugural honorees. My first stop was the red carpet where I was introduced as “Ilyse Baker, The Dance Fitness Expert.” Then, everything happened so fast as all I heard was about 7 different photographers yelling my name. I cannot even express how special I felt and excited to be included in this prestigious event. It wasn’t that everyone wanted to take my picture; it was reality setting in that I would be sharing an evening with other accomplished role models in the health and fitness industry. Some of these personalities were Diane Salvatore, Editor-in-Chief of Prevention, Laura Petasnick, Publisher of Prevention, along with Valerie Bertinelli (Hot in Cleveland), Mary Murphy (So You Think You Can Dance), Alison Sweeney (The Biggest Loser), Kathy Kaehler (Kathy Kaehler Fitness), Ashley Koff R.D., Darlene Hunt (Creator and Executive Producer, The Big C), Vivian Cannon (Executive Producer, The Big C), Hilly Hicks (Writer, The Big C), Todd Lubin (Executive Producer, The Biggest Loser), Sarah Watson (Writer/Producer, Parenthood), Anne Fox (Producer, Giada DeLaurentiis), Meg Marinis (Director of Medical Research, Grey’s Anatomy), Debbie Reynolds, Devin Alexander (Chef, The Biggest Loser), and Dolvett Quince (Trainer, The Biggest Loser). Now, after reading that list, I am sure you can feel how I felt: on Cloud 9.

After my picture was taken several times, I then hit the interview area of the red carpet where I was asked several questions about why I was there, what I do, am I happy to be at the event, etc. However, the most memorable question that I was asked was, “Ilyse, what does Prevention mean to you?” Instantly, I responded, ”What a great question?! To me, Prevention means awareness…a wake up call…we need to keep America on its feet and moving. We need to continue to inspire America to live a healthier lifestyle and teach children what it means to be healthy. They are our future.”

I am still thinking about that question, as I truly believe it is important to continue to educate America on what it means to be healthy. In our World today, there are so many resources that can educate “us” to be strong. There is so much information out there that we can’t use “not knowing” as an excuse. Take Prevention as an example, they are the nation's leading healthy lifestyle brand first published in September 1950, with a U.S. magazine audience of 10.2 million readers, 3.5 million readers outside the U.S. of 16 international editions, and a top digital destination (http://www.prevention.com) that has 2.6 million unique visitors each month, 28 million page views, and 1.3 million newsletter subscribers. Each year, nearly 50 million Prevention products are sold, including books, special-interest magazines and bookazines, and DVDs. There you have it…tons of choices to help educate “us.”

My evening continued with lots of schmoozing then the Awards ceremony began and it was extremely moving. I wish you were a fly on the wall to experience the passion and love that was expressed when the Winners accepted their awards. Another…”OMG!” For example, when Alison Sweeney from The Biggest Loser got up to accept their Award, she spoke from the heart as she shared her experiences being on the ranch season after season with contestants who completely transformed their lives. As she shared her thoughts, I sat on the edge of my seat as I could really feel how she was feeling. It was incredible. Then, when Mary Murphy from So You Think You Can Dance took the podium, she expressed that lately the show has touched issues like breast cancer, addiction, and relationships. A thyroid cancer survivor, Mary continued: "Let's do something about obesity in this country. I am proud of be a part of a movement to get us moving and to get us healthier. We have to make our children understand that it's about health." Again, very moving…

From obesity to cancer to autism, all medical issues were present on the awarded TV shows. Important issues and information was presented in a fun, entertaining manner. Darlene Hunt, Creator and Executive Producer of The Big C, got right to the point when she said, "Get your moles checked people! I'm having my first colonoscopy this week." Dr. Oz appraised Prevention's work: "Long before it was fashion to talk about health and fitness, Prevention Magazine was on the promoting them". Valerie Bertinelli said: "It has been proven that laughter reduces stress and burns extra calories so I am very lucky to have a job where I literary get to laugh my a** off every day."

This was an evening that was absolutely inconceivable and I was thrilled to be a part of the first ever Prevention Healthy TV Awards. Many more years are coming for this event for sure! Please let this blog inspire you to become more aware!

To see what it was like to be yelled at by 7 different photographers, watch here:

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on winning the prestigious award, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ilyse...I keep telling you how wonderful you are and now I'm not the only one who thinks that way. You're amazing and an inspiration. You make health and fitness feel so easy. CONGRATULATIONS!!
    Love,
    Judy M

    ReplyDelete