Wednesday, September 30, 2009

How do I get beautiful, long, lean legs like a dancer?

This is a question that I hear all the time from my students and even complete strangers:  "How do I get beautiful, long, lean legs like a dancer?"  Dancers have amazingly fit bodies, and usually their legs in particular are lean and toned. Aside from taking dance classes, there are a few exercises that can be done in your own home, in just a few minutes each day to workout your lower body, and eventually develop toned legs.  Let me show you two exercises that you should start with:  Plies and Ballet Kicks.  I recommend putting in your favorite hits to get you in the mood to execute these exercises to the best of your ability.  Some of my favorite Artists to listen to while I perform the exercises below are as follows:  The Fray, Moloko, Akon, Sia, and Toby Lightman.

1)  Plies - Stand in ballet first position. (kiss your heels together and turn your feet out only as far as is comfortable). From here, slowly bend your knees as far as possible, while keeping your heels on the ground, with your knees directly over the middle of your feet. Now unbend your knees, moving back up to the starting position.


 


 2)  Standing in ballet first position (kiss heels together with toes pointed out to the sides of room) lift leg up to 45 degree angle, hold then come back down to starting position. Pull your navel into your spine and squeeze your butt cheeks together.

 



                                                                                  


1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to be back home so I could take class with you again

    I love the Fame routine, and the comment about the new student.....Of

    course we all know you are terrific and that I as well go out feeling great about myself, and have a positive attitude for the rest of the day, knowing I had a great time and did something good for my body and health.

    love har

    ReplyDelete