Friday, December 25, 2009

What Do You Fear?


Wouldn't you agree that we all have at least one fear in life?  Some that we have already dealt with, some we will never deal with, and some that we continue to deal with.  A fear is a normal and healthy part of life.  It is easy to become afraid of almost anything.

About a month ago, I was invited to go to the Santa Monica Pier to take a flying Trapeze class with other Lululemon Ambassadors.  When I read the evite, I responded yes right away without even thinking twice about it.  It sounded fun and exciting so why not?!  As it got closer to the Trapeze class, I suddenly got fearful.  I remember trying to think of every way possible to get myself out of going, “Am I crazy?  I hate heights.  There is no way I can do this.  I can’t I can’t…I just can’t.  Wait, don’t I have to wash my hair or something?”  I thought of every negative thing to say or any excuse to get me out of going.  I had never tried something like this before.

That Friday came sooner than I thought and I found myself at the Santa Monica Pier with the rest of the Lululemon Ambassadors ready for Trapeze class.  The set up was crazy and I couldn’t believe what they wanted us to do.  My heart was palpitating, my palms were sweaty, and I literally thought I couldn’t do it.  The instructors went through all the technicalities so fast that I remember saying, “You want me to do what?”

Climbing up the tall ladder was so scary and I literally cried the entire way to the top.  My heart was beating so fast that I couldn’t even introduce myself to the cute instructor at the top waiting to assist me.  I was one hot mess.  He said, “Just look out into the ocean and do not look down.  I am right here and will not let go until you are ready to jump.”  Was he joking?  Did he really just say all of this to me?  At this point, I was laughing and crying at the same time.  The next minute I knew I was screaming my head off and felt so alive.  I was in the moment and now determined to do everything they told me to do.  It was the best feeling to know that I overcame my fear and did it.  It happened so quickly and I wanted to go again.  As I climbed the ladder a 2nd time, those butterflies in my stomach came back.  This time, I took a step back (not literally) to breathe and forget about the fear.

"Ilyse, I am dying to take your dance classes, but I can't dance.  I have 2 left feet.  I hear you’re an amazing instructor, but I just can't can't can't!" I hear this each week from people at the gym or outside of the gym who hear about my dance classes.  When I hear the negativity, I can't, I can't, all I hear these people saying is that they are making an excuse and not admitting to me that it is a fear they have to dance.  They are fearful to step out of their comfort zone and try something different.  Facing a fear or trying something different is never an easy thing to do and most people do not do it on a regular basis.  I now know this from experience and it comes down to this:  You have to at least try.  What is the worst thing that could happen?  You find out that it is not for you so you move on to something different?  Or best-case scenario, it is for you and you love it!  Either way, you can at least say you tried it, you know how it feels, and you did it!     

This is a perfect time of year to reflect back on.  Can you overcome one fear from 2009 or try to deal with it?  What about bringing in 2010 with trying something different?  Overcome a fear or 2…

Check out how I overcame my fear.  I did something that scared me, challenged me, but made an impact on me:




4 comments:

  1. First thought: I can't believe you did that!

    Second thought: I want to give it try!

    Third thought: I can't believe I just said I want to try it.

    Fourth thought: Now that I dance, I can do anything!

    Fifth thought: Thank you Ilyse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLZ YEA BABY!
    When do you want to go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Ilyse-I know exactly how you felt! I did the trapeze at club med circus school in ixtapa 2 summers ago! I was so scared! especially taking that little jump off the platform. My kids, Chloe (13) and Tyler (16)did it too. They even advanced to the release trick-that's when the instructor grabs your arms and you release your knees from your trapeze and are left dangling from the instructor. i have it all on video! I felt like I overcame a huge fear after I did it-but I don't think I'll do it again! It's just nice to say I DID IT! btw-you looked very graceful for your first time, pointed toes and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia- that is AWESOME and a great accomplishment. I would love to see your video too. :) Wow...what a feeling?!

    ReplyDelete