Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Beat Those Extra Holiday Pounds NOW...

Can you believe that the holidays are just around the corner?!  Do you always fear that you will overeat at your holiday dinners and then, what happens:  those extra pounds will appear in places they do not belong to ever be in.  I have these thoughts at every holiday dinner.

This time of year can be very tough for all of us.  The one big battle that I hear about constantly is the fear of holiday weight gain.  Trust me, I fear it too.  I have no will power when it comes to my Aunt Seyna’s Thanksgiving stuffing, my Mom-Mom’s sweet potatoes, and my Mom’s delicious Hanukkah potato latkes and cookies.  Every year, I ask myself the same questions, “Is it all really worth it?  Do I need to gorge myself during these holiday meals?  What if I eat smaller portions or try giving up one side dish this season?”

I have learned that it is best to try to beat the holiday bulge now.  It has been estimated that people gain anywhere from 5-10 lbs during the holiday season.  Most people wait until after the damage is done to do anything about it.  Why do you think everyone’s New Year’s resolution is, “I MUST lose weight!”  There is a reason that every gym offers special promotions right after the holidays.  It is a guarantee for them that their sales will peak after January 1st.  By acting now, we can all increase our metabolism and increase our lean body mass.  Make this holiday season fearless and the most enjoyable one yet!  Let’s not fear what we put in our mouths or how much weight we will gain.  Instead, check out some of my tips below to help you stay on track with your fitness and weight control during this holiday season.  Stay healthy, strong, and motivated this season!

• Keep your turkey to a serving about the size of your palm (approx 3 oz).
• Try to avoid most of the bread products as most are topped with butter or take a smaller portion eating it dry.
• Fill ¾ of you plate with vegetables
• Avoid high calorie drinks.
• Eat slowly, taking at least 20 minutes to eat your meal.  Try talking a lot or if you are like my family, we tend to sing songs, which slows up the meal. 
• When you are finished eating and you think you want seconds, wait 10 minutes.  BREATHE! Most of the time you will realize that you aren’t really hungry and you do not need seconds.
• Drink lots of water!!!
• Avoid the dark meat.  It tends to have more fat and has added calories.
• DO NOT eat the skin of the turkey.
• After your holiday dinner, take the family for a walk or do some other form of exercise that gets the heart pumping.  Remember you cannot burn fat and store fat at the same time.  By moving after your big meal, you will better utilize the calories you just consumed and offset any fat storage.
Remember to keep active trying to get at least 30 minutes of exercise 4-5 times a week. 

Also, remember that every once and a while it is ok and normal to splurge.  Just be true and honest to yourself.  Life is way too short to deprive your body so enjoy it to the fullest.  Tomorrow will always be a brand new day.  Keep the focus and you will find yourself ringing in the New Year remaining fit and healthy.

“You WILL thank me later.”

2 comments:

  1. Ilyse, these are great tips. Here's one of my own personal tips...don't wear sweat pants or anything with an elastic waist to Thanksgiving dinner - too much room for you to expand. Instead wear a pair of pants that are too tight so there's no way you can overeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kool...
    Now I know wat to do to not gain weight in Hollidays... :D

    The turkey must be delicious as a price of working out your body for a long time... :D

    Well... Thanks for the "advices" or sugestions... :D

    ReplyDelete