Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dress The Part

I have lived in Los Angeles for 6 years now.  I, like every other person in Los Angeles came for the entertainment industry.  I can still clearly visualize my very first dance audition in Hollywood...

I was taking a dance class at the Edge Performing Arts Center earlier that week when I overheard some girls chatting about an upcoming Britney Spears audition,  "Did your Agent call you for Britney's audition?  Are you going?"  Of course, I continued to ease drop to get all the exact details about the audition so I could go as well.  Agent or no Agent...I was definitely making an appearance at this call.  Yes, I had only been in LA for a couple of weeks, but what did I have to lose... absolutely nothing?! 

During the next few days, I spent quality time with my sister, Dayna, my # 1 fan, who pumps me up for every audition.  We had our scheduled fashion shows and pep talks before the audition.  The fashion shows are always my favorite part, because Dayna raids my dance wardrobe to help me pick out the perfect outfit.  Finally, she always knows exactly what to say to pump me up so I step in on the right foot. 

On the day of the audition, I was so excited and ready for it.  I gave myself enough time to get dressed in my perfect outfit and to arrive extra early to warm up.  I wore my form fitting black jazz pants and a bright red leotard to help me stand out.  I got to the audition 45 minutes early just like I did at every audition when I lived in New York City.  "Where was everyone?  Am I am at the right place?  No line of dancers waiting to get the same job?  I know this is the right place."  Well, I waited patiently outside the door stretching and warming up.  Exactly 10 minutes before the audition was scheduled to begin, hundreds of female dancers finally got in the line behind me, except they all looked very different than I did.  I have never seen so many girls in the same place all wearing booty shorts and bikini tops.  "I mean why wear clothes at all?!  Did I miss part of the conversation as I was ease dropping finding out about the audition?  Was I suppose to wear this type of outfit?"  Every audition in New York City, all dancers wore dance clothes and we were judged by our talent and technique.  We definitely were not judged by what we wore.  Now of course I wanted to run and get out of that audition as quickly as I could before any of Britney's people saw me, but the next thing I heard was, "NEXT...headshot and resume, please." 

Obviously, my bright red leotard and black jazz pants did not land me this job.  Instead, it taught me a great lesson about auditioning in Los Angeles:  You gotta "Dress The Part!"  Now, with every audition and with every rehearsal, I always "Dress The Part."  For example, yesterday I started to rehearse with 2 talented friends of mine, Sam and Mark for an upcoming show.  The choreography is very smooth, tough, and macho.  I threw my hat and hoodie on to "Dress The Part."  It totally worked and made me feel great.  Another great tip that I have learned to do is keep an extra bag of clothes and shoes in the trunk of my car.  This way I have other options in the event that I get to an audition and I am dressed all wrong or I need something else that I wasn't told to bring with me.  It is better to be safer than sorry.  You just never know what to expect at an audition, callback, or even a class. 

So why am I sharing this with all of you?  Well, we all "Dress The Part" everyday for work, special events, etc.  Can you "Dress The Part" for your next workout at the gym or studio too?  It is helpful to wear clothes that make you feel more confident about yourself and your body.  This will actually make you work harder during each class.  I try my hardest to relay this message to my students.  It is fabulous seeing the "HOT Valley Moms" sporting cargo pants for Cardio Funk class.  I love it and I know it helps them feel funkier! 

The next time you decide to step into a new class at the gym or a local studio, try to "Dress The Part."  Treat every workout and class as an audition. You will learn the lesson too.

Here are a few of my favorite "Dress The Part" places:
1)  http://www.lululemon.com/
2)  http://www.reebok.com/US/#
3)  http://www.nike.com/
4)  Diva Boutique on Melrose
http://www.insiderpages.com/b/15240368319
5)  http://www.anatb.com/
6)  http://shop.nordstrom.com/

1 comment:

  1. So true. The right clothes help you feel comfortable to workout and sweat too. I am also really liking Lucy (http://www.lucy.com) as well.

    ReplyDelete